Ministry on the Margins at Rose Hill COG
The Rose Hill Church of God is located in Lee County, adjoining Kentucky on the North and West, and Tennessee on the South and South West. The Rose Hill area is mainly farming and cattle country with some medical supply industry also in the area.
The Church was organized in April of 1946 by Rev. J. G. Houck, Pastor of the St. Charles Church of God, and Rev. Harold Morris, the District Overseer and Pastor of the Big Stone Gap Church of God. Rev. John McPherson was appointed as pastor. The Church was organized with eleven charter members, one which is still a member and faithful attendee, 94 year old Maude De Busk.
The original building was a store front called the Dr. Pierce Drug Store in the middle part of the town of Rose Hill. The parsonage was in the upper part of the building. Property was purchased and a new church built in 1950 on the east end of Rose Hill adjoining Route 58. The new building was fairly limited in size with a small combination kitchen/eating area in the back which also served as a Sunday School room. In June of 1995, then Pastor Lloyd Scott and congregation purchased the former Carty Funeral Home on the west end of Rose Hill. It consisted of a 1930's era two story brick house with an added chapel and two other large rooms. These two rooms were converted into a kitchen and fellowship hall. This new facility provided ample sanctuary space and Sunday School rooms.
The church is actively involved in a collation with nine other churches in the area to better minister to the needs of the community. Part of this activity includes a community revival each year with services being held at each church on their respective nights utilizing the ministers of all the churches. The offerings of the revival are designated for local needs as determined by the collation, such as support for a local food bank, etc. This has promoted greater unity and cooperation among all of the congregations involved.
We are thankful for all the members of the congregation of the Rose Hill Church of God and their labors of love realizing that without them and their vision the church would not exist today. While the church might not be a large church it can and must have an impact on the community wherein it is located.
Tillman and Brenda Sue Branson, Pastor
Rose Hill Church of God
Posted on Thu, May 18, 2017
by Kathy Clark filed under